Wednesday, June 1, 2011

New Products at the Beekman 1802 Mercantile

There's nothing like swooping in to the Beekman 1802 Mercantile and loading up on a few new products and some old favorites.  Here are a few of the new items you'll find at the Mercantile.  I'm introducing my "Shop or Drop" recommendations and ratings on these products: 

GARDEN CRUUK



This handy garden tool is a must have for the home gardener.  The Garden Cruuk is actually three tools in one.  The heel of the tool can be used to weed any raised bed or flower garden quickly and easily by catching the weed just below the soil surface.  The notched end of the Cruuk can be used for digging small holes or digging out long tap roots from the most stubborn of weeds.  The point and blade can be used to break up or dig through compacted soil. 

The Beekman 1802 Garden Cruuk is hand forged and beveled with a maple handle that has been hand turned by one of the B 1802 craftsmen.  It is comfortable in your hand and will certainly last many years.

Availability:       Online or at the store
Shop or Drop:  SHOP
Score:               8 out of 10

The only thing that stops this product from being the perfect 10 is the price.  At $57, it seems priced out of the average gardeners budget. While it is fully expected to last for many gardening seasons, the initial investment cost may be prohibitive to some.

STICK OF BUTTER


The Beekman 1802 Stick of Butter is a classic example of innovative product design.  Imagine an all natural chapstick type product on a larger scale that works in conjunction with your body heat to soothe dry skin or lips without the greasy feel many moisturizers can leave.  I instantly fell in love with this product and used it almost immediately after purchase. 

The Stick of Butter is available in four seasonal scents (I purchased spring and summer), and well worth the $15 price. 

Availability:     Online or at the store
Shop or Drop  SHOP
Score              10 out of 10

ROSEMARY CREAMED HONEY


I love to cook, but I'm not sure I would have ever thought to put rosemary and honey together as a condiment.  I'm glad Brent did! 

The Beekman 1802 Rosemary Creamed Honey is nothing short of AMAZING.  There is the perfect balance of a Rosemary infusion with some of the most delicious honey you'll ever taste.  This new condiment is perfect with fruit, cheese, or on your favorite bread or cracker.  The creamed honey becomes a savory treat when combined with Beekman Blaak cheese or the cheese of your choice.  Truly, the possibilities are endless with this product.  I'm going to perfect a Rosemary Creamed Honey Shortbread cookie.. I can just imagine the two together perfectly!

Priced at $10 a jar, this is worth every red cent!

Availability:      Online or at the store
Shop or Drop  SHOP
Score:              10 out of 10

BEEKMAN 1802 GOAT TOPIARY


This is just a cute idea.  In front of the Beekman 1802 Mercantile there are large urns with big goat topiary forms.  They have taken the whimsical idea and made it smaller scale for the home. 


The metal planter is embossed with the Beekman 1802 logo and filled with succulents.  There are no drainage holes in the planter itself (they could be drilled if so desired..) so succulents work great for this type of container.  This isn't your Mamma's Chia-Pet. 

Availability:        Store only
Shop or Drop:   SHOP (if you like goat whimsy)
Score:               9 out of 10

I gave this item a score of 9 because without some sort of modification with drainage holes, customers are limited to what will grow successfully in the container.  I would like to see this product sold as a "kit" so customers could add the plants of their choice. 

To see the entire collection of Beekman 1802 products, visit their website or visit the Beekman 1802 Mercantile, located in Sharon Springs, New York.

4 comments:

ANDREW RITCHIE said...

Nice to see you back, Kenn! My mom was at the Beekman a few weeks ago - her third time to Sharon Springs! - and she picked up a few goods for me, including the stick of butter. I've been using the "Spring" stick every day and I love how subtle it smells. She also got me the onion jam and the caramel sauce - SO delicious!! I have to plan a trip myself soon!

Elaine said...

They all look like great products, but not sure I like the image that comes to mind of the stick of butter though (just don't like the thought of butter on my body). You didn't list the price of the topiary so I imagine that is out of my price range along with the garden cruuk. The cruuk looks like a very useful garden tool. I like your rating system and comments.

mike509 said...

Love the packaging - great products! I see that others have received the butter already.... I'm obviously one of the stragglers. :) Great review!

Anonymous said...

I just stopped in at the shop in Sharon Springs yesterday to pick up a Stick of Butter and some Hot Caramel. It's too bad the name is offputting for some on the former, as it really is a great product. The makers are promoting it as a moisturizer alternative for those traveling by air as it is solid until melted by body heat. Great stuff, wonderful for hands and lips and heels (all I've tried it on so far). Sharon Springs is well worth a visit for anyone who hasn't been. A more unusual Route 20 village you won't find... the numerous abandoned hotels and spas give the place a real trapped-in-time feel. The Beekman shop is lovely as is the American Hotel and the Black Cat Cafe (a lunch favorite); I also recommend Sharon Springs Classics, a shop selling all sorts of baby boomer favorite toys.