Monday, July 27, 2009

Beautiful Photography

I had the distinct pleasure of attending a showing and sale of the beautiful photography from Sister Anne Tyler, RSM.

"Sister Anne" as she is known to the community, is a Sister of Mercy currently working at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System in Southeast Michigan. Her work as a photographer typically takes her to corporate events and gatherings, or photographing new residents and physicians. Yet, her ability to capture beautiful images outside of the hospital setting has made a great demand for her work.

Her keen eye for composition, and her artful eye for beauty in what some may think of as 'the ordinary,' made me fall in love with her photographs the first time I saw them and I'm not the only one.


Crowds gathered today to pour over the numerous photographs in a variety of sizes, some framed and some matted. Proceeds from today's sale benefited the hospitals geriatric program.


I was so inspired as I looked at her work. In the photos above, I found myself just staring at them, forgetting the stress of the day and searching out every detail in the photograph. The photographs of old doors drew me in as if I could turn the doorknob and walk into another time and place. That's when I know I love an artists work; when I lose myself and the work takes me to another place and time. Sr. Anne's work did just that. It was love at first sight.

I'm anxious to have her work be part of my home for years to come. What's on my 'to-do' list this weekend? Cutting mats and framing, of course!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Those are beautiful and inspiring photos. Thank you for sharing her work with us.