Monday, January 19, 2009

Welcome Mr. President

In my lifetime, I've never experienced such energy and excitement around the transition of power from one President to another. With great hope, great anticipation, and great joy, this country welcomes a new day.

While great significance is being placed on President Obama being the first African-American President (and it is significant!), I see today as a true renewal of our country; a country that I truly do love.

We, as Americans are being called into service as we face a great many challenges. It's a call that has not rang out in this country for years. It is up to each one of us to serve our country, next to our President and 'fix' what has been broken.

Today, we welcome our new President with open arms and great hope. Today, I, as a gay man in America feel less of a second class citizen. I feel as though perhaps, just perhaps our country is realizing a dream that Martin Luther King, Jr. had.. that one day we will not be judged by the color of our skin (or many other factors for that matter) but by the content of our character.

Welcome, Mr. President. Welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you every seen so many people?! It was a wondrous experience - even viewing it on television from 3,000 miles away.

ANDREW RITCHIE said...

I LOVE YOUR NEW PRESIDENT!!!