Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Things Happen For A Reason...

Today, something happened that makes you stop for a moment and say, "hmmmmm."

I was traveling between hospitals today and stopped at home for a quick lunch. I fixed a quick snack and checked my home email to find a correspondence from Tracie Hotchner, the host of "Cat Chat - The Radio Show."

A listener called in today during her appearance on "Morning Living" seeking some assistance with two cats that belonged to her sister. She (the caller) was looking for a foster family for the cats while her sister was temporarily living in a specialized living situation due to some medical conditions. When Tracie heard where the caller was from (Michigan) she didn't know if we were close in proximity, but suggested that the caller contact me, and through the animal rescue, perhaps the cats could be placed in a foster home. The caller followed up once she arrived at work with an email to Tracie because she couldn't remember the name of the rescue Tracie had mentioned. Tracie emailed her back and cc'd me on the email.

I immediately emailed Tracie and the caller (her name is Annette) and without even a moment of hesitation told them both I would do what I could to help. I gave Annette my cell phone number and we spoke by phone this afternoon. I was so moved by her story. Annette is highly allergic to cats and cannot take them in. She doesn't want the cats destroyed because she knows that one day her sister will get better and be able to live on her own again... the cats are such an important part of her life. She knows it would be so beneficial to have them with her sister once again.

As it turns out, she works in Ann Arbor, with Domino's Pizza, Inc. as assistant to the CEO. Her office isn't too far from mine and she lives rather close to the shelter. I promised Annette that I would do all I could to find a wonderful home for the cats. Annette assured me that she would pay for all the food, medical expenses (if any) and any other incidental expenses related to the care of the cats.

I went into action. I emailed the board of the directors of the rescue to seek their assistance. Everyone is working feverishly to find a home for these deserving cats. I'm so humbled to be part of a solution to this problem. I hope we can place the cats within a week. We only have a two week window to work with before other, less desirable options take place because her sisters home will need to be vacated.

It's funny how things happen and why things happen. When Tracie heard this caller, she thought of me. I (luckily) have some great resources available to me and through those resources I know we'll find a home for the cats. In a small way I can help someone else. What's so interesting is that the caller (Annette) is actually so close to me.. small world, indeed.

I get a little teary when I think about all this. Stroke of luck, or something else? I can't even begin to imagine the 'odds' of it being just luck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was just meant to be, Kenn. Isn't it great that you have kept in contact with Tracie from the show? I do hope that you find them a good home soon! Please keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

That's so nice of you to help Kenn - I know that with your assistance, they will find a home! Yes, please let us know how it turns out - they were lucky to find you!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kenn. I love the new stuff you have added to your side bar. I didn't know all that about Basil and I didn't realize that there is another Green Living episode coming up. Thank you for educating us!