Thursday, May 20, 2010

Vacation Time



As I walked through the gardens yesterday, I noticed that the unusually warm weather and above average rainfall has prompted all the roses and peonies to bud and begin bursting at the seams.  It will be a matter of hours now before the buds open and the gardens will be awash with color once again. 

Unfortunately, I'm going to miss this first bloom. 

We've packed our bags, and we're heading east; back to Sharon Springs to see dear friends.  While I will miss the first roses and peonies of my own garden, I can't think of a better way to celebrate my 51st year of existence on this earth than with Josh, Brent, Jackie, Dave, my Dave, and the village of Sharon Springs. Anyone care to join us for cocktails at the American Hotel?

This weekend is the 'world premiere' of "The Fabulous Beekman Boys" which I will be documenting for an upcoming blog post.  Josh will also be signing copies of his new book "The Bucolic Plague" at the new Beekman 1802 Mercantile in the heart of the village.  No worries.. I'll make sure you get a sneak peek of the book signing and the store.  Also, look for my review of the book this weekend.  I just finished reading it and I'm still trying to find the right words to share.  In short, it's amazing. 

Brent has informed me that there are 20,000 sunflower seeds to sow this year.  You may recall, last year we did about half that amount.  He has our list of 'chores' ready.. you don't go to the Beekman without taking part in the process! If I complain with a sore back, it will be all his fault. 

No comments: