Thursday, December 10, 2009

Celebrating National Believe Day


Be Compassionate
Be Giving
Be Generous
Be Mindful
Be an Inspiration

For the second year, Macy’s has pledged their support for the Make a Wish Foundation through their popular “Believe” campaign. Macy’s has asked those who “Believe” to write a letter to Santa Claus, and drop it in the official RH Macy’s Mailbox at all Macy’s department stores. For each letter received, Macy’s will donate $1 to the Make A Wish Foundation, up to 1 million dollars. Imagine how many wishes could come true with a 1 million dollar donation.

I support this campaign not only for the good works and contribution to the Make a Wish Foundation, but I also respect and honor Macy’s for rekindling the holiday spirit; a season of giving. Macy’s is asking the American public to do something that perhaps many have forgotten – that is to “Believe.” What better way to bring back the true magic of the holiday season than to believe and share your wishes with Santa. I want to share with you, my letter to Santa this year:

Dear Santa,
As you read through the hundreds upon thousands of letters from good boys and girls this year, I hope this letter doesn’t take you by surprise. If you check your list (and perhaps check it twice), you’ll see that I’ve been pretty good this year. I don’t think I’m too old to believe in you.

It’s difficult for me to express my Christmas wishes in ‘list’ form. I’m not asking for something that can be placed in my stocking or under the tree. I just have these deep wishes in my heart.


I saw a family today, standing on the street corner in the frigid cold, holding a sign saying, “homeless. Please help my children.” Santa, I wish for understanding. I can’t understand how this could happen in the most powerful country in the world.


In my work, I see reports that cross my desk of patients that are unable to pay their medical bills because they don’t have insurance and they are unemployed. It breaks my heart to hear a patient say, “I had to make a choice of feeding my family or paying my hospital bill.” Santa, I wish for a solution so that no one ever has to struggle to make a choice between their medical bills and their family.


A little while ago, I put on my coat and stepped outside to feed two stray cats that have found their way to our home. I feed them twice a day for fear they would otherwise starve. I fashioned a shelter for them so they can stay warm and dry this winter. They are fearful of humans (and rightly so) but my wish Santa, is that one day, I’ll be able to hold them, and show them the love they and all cats and dogs deserve.


Santa, someone I love dearly has been going through treatment for cancer. She’s such a kind soul and truly a beautiful person. She told me this week that her doctors weren’t able to do anything more to treat the cancer. Nothing seemed to work to clear her of this dreadful disease. I admire her fight, and her determination to overcome the obstacle that has been put before her. Santa, I wish for wisdom, to know how to be the best possible support to her. Sometimes I’m not real great at knowing the right things to say.


Lastly Santa, I just have a wish for peace, for the people I love. My friends and my family are so important to me. While each person is very different, each person has an equal share of love in my heart. For them, I wish joy. I wish happiness. I wish fulfillment. I wish peace. I can only hope they know just how much I love them.


I’ll have cookies on the table for you. As usual, they’ll be the decorated sugar cookies… my favorites to make.


The magic and the spirit of the season live in my heart.

Merry Christmas, Santa


Kenn

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Such a beautiful, heartfelt letter, Kenn. Thank you for sharing it with us.

---a--- said...

Absolutely beautiful Kenn. I think we all wish for the things that you have asked Santa for.

Merry Christmas



Pru