Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer Lemonade Cocktail


Summer is officially here! Nothing says summer like a good glass of freshly made lemonade... unless of course it's a glass of a freshly made lemonade cocktail!

Today, we celebrated the start of the summer season by making our favorite lemonade recipe.
My favorite lemonade begins with delicious Meyer Lemons. While not quite as tart as a standard lemon, Meyer lemons are full of delicious lemon flavor and they are perfect for making a pitcher of lemonade.

Begin with 1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. This could be 6-9 lemons, depending on size. Pour the lemon juice into a large pitcher. Add 1 cup of simple syrup. (for an extra flavor booster, try making mint simple syrup and using that... delicious!) Add 4 cups of ice cold water and 3-4 sprigs of fresh mint. Stir until well blended. Serve over ice and garnish with thinly sliced lemons and mint.


To enjoy the "cocktail" version, follow the same preparation above. To the pitcher, add 3/4 cup of high quality premium Vodka. (or, if you're a Gin lover, that would work as well..) Serve in a tall glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with lemon slices and mint.

6 comments:

Brent said...

Hi, Kenn

This sounds great. Did you grow those lemons yourself? I'm suspicious :-)

Kenn said...

Hi Brent,
I wish I could grow lemons here! Unfortunately, I have to resort to buying them at the market.

Princess Freckles said...

Sounds delicious! You should try Firefly vodka!

John R. said...

Mmmmm, Vodka & Lemonade has always been my preferred drink each and every summer!

Kenn, I sure do wish we could grow our own lemons here!

Elaine said...

I LOVE Meyer Lemons and I am going to try this cocktail! Salud!

Matt's Kitchen said...

Beautiful photo made all the better by that splash of vodka, I'm sure!