Monday, November 24, 2008


As we approach Thanksgiving, a good many people pause and give serious thought to 'what' they are thankful for. I've been doing the same.
I'm most thankful for personal growth. As I've gotten older and had more experiences in life, I've come to realize how important it is to take a few minutes out of the day and reflect on the people and/or happenings that allow me to continue my personal journey of self awareness and growth. Life is full of "ah-ha" moments... you just have to make yourself available to experience them and recognize them when they happen.
I'm thankful that each day my feet touch the floor, I have another opportunity to touch the lives of others. Be it at work, or in my personal life, "making a difference" means a great deal to me. Sometimes it's nothing more than dropping a note to friend to let them know they are thought of. At other times, it's sitting down with someone to share life experiences. I learn from them, and (hopefully) they learn from me. I'm thankful for those moments.
I'm thankful for a wonderfully diverse and interesting group of friends and family. From wealthy social-lites to homeboys in the hood, I've been able to surround myself with good people from all walks of life. True friends. A very loving family.
I'm thankful for the challenges life presents me. As the old saying goes, "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." It's quite true. Thankful for adversity?? Try it.. you'll find that adversity isn't quite so overwhelming.
There are so many things in life to be thankful for... not only during a holiday; but every day of the year. Take time out to be thankful. It makes a difference in how you view your day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's why I don't particularly like to rush past Thanksgiving and on to Christmasn and it is why I really love this holiday - it's an opportunity to take time and think about what we have to be thankful for. Because, no matter how bad things are and how hopeless things sometime seem - there IS always something to be thankful for.

Thank you, Kenn!

ANDREW RITCHIE said...

Although Canadians have already officially given thanks (in October) I'll use the U.S. holiday to say I'm thankful to know you, my American cousin!