Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thank You for Being a Friend...

Estelle Getty, best known for her role as Sophia on the Golden Girls, passed away this morning at her home in California. She was 84.

Getty, known for her sassy, sarcastic comments in her octogenarian character role, had battled advanced dementia for a number of years.

From 1985 - 1992, Getty and her co-stars on the hit television series made Saturday television something to look forward to. After the shows end in '92, it lived on in syndication and now is available by season on DVD.

I remember many Saturday nights tuning in and laughing hysterically. It was one of my favorite television shows. Getty's character reminded me of my own grandmother who was equally as feisty. (and also passed of dementia)

Her role as Sophia is one that many will remember fondly.

As the theme song of the Golden Girls goes: 'thank you for being a friend.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too have seen every episode... at least 6 times. It was one of my favorites as well. She was truly a gifted actress - and will be missed. :(