Tuesday, November 20, 2007

On Being Thankful

It is that time of year when we stop to reflect for a moment and aknowlege what we are thankful for.

It's very easy in our busy everyday lives to take a good many things for granted. We feel the love of our friends and family so it's easy to assume they will always be there. We wake up every morning to go to work and it's easy to assume that we'll always have a job to go to. We use our kitchen apppliances and assume they will always work. We turn on our faucets and we assume we will always have water. Some of what we take for granted we may want to stop for a moment and appreciate fully.

In recent weeks, my dear friend Nancy passed away. Her unexpected death sent my heart reeling into a tailspin. How could this be? I just talked to her and she was fine.. Why did God take her from those that love her? I was dazed. I was confused. I was angry. I was terribly sad. Yet, as I stop to reflect and give thanks, I am thankful that even for a short time, I had Nancy in my life. In the scheme of life, our friendship was brief. Yet, it seemed as though I knew Nancy all my life. She had this ability to pull from me the BEST in me and bring it to the surface. Through her friendship I became a better person. Through her death, I learned to value friendships on a greater level. Her passing is something I had no control of and I don't question the plan God has for us. In her death, I've learned more about life itself. It's brought me closer to wonderful people who also shared in a love for her. For Nancy in life, and Nancy in death, I'm eternally thankful to have had her influence in my life. I am forever a better person for it.

I'm thankful for new friendships. I'm thankful for existing friendships. I'm thankful for my partner, I'm thankful for my wonderfully supportive family. I'm thankful for having a home that brings comfort, peace and safety. I'm thankful for my boss, who sometimes drives me crazy, yet teaches me through our disagreements to be a stronger member of the team.

I'm thankful for my life and all the ups and downs that come with it. Each experience in life makes me stronger and wiser.

To my friends and family - I'm especially thankful for your love. I hope in some small way I have returned that love to you and you know it's there.

Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful sentiments. I just love to visit here and hope that you will be blogging for a long time.

I wish you and your family peace and joy this Thanksgiving.

Here's to new friendships!